Jay-Z & Kanye West: a tale of well-earned supremacy


It took me a while to get into Jay-Z and Kanye West’s collaborative effort Watch the throne (2011) –at least me more than I did with Kanye’s masterpiece My dark twisted fantasy (2010). And even though I wish I didn’t have to compare these two records, it’s really hard not to. I guess that’s what happens when you listen to an album that comes after a great one -you kind of expect some sort of continuity to that greatness. But when you end up listening to something different than what you first expected, confusion comes in (and even with a little disappointment). Nonetheless, when you finally start to enjoy what you hear, you can’t but celebrate what these two hip-hop titans have managed to achieve with this record. Watch the throne moves between that ambitious sense of avant-garde present in My dark… and a sound more inclined to Jay-Z and Kanye’s comfort zone. The result comes out as much more than the sum of its parts. That been said, Watch the throne manages to become that sequel of greatness -it’s just a different one from what you were expecting.

This is the video for Otis

Comentarios

Entradas populares